Sunday, April 15, 2007

Black And White #2



The first photo was an old favorite of mine from when I took one of my photography classes at college in the early 1980s. I took the photo, and when I developed a contact sheet of that roll's images, this photo looked like an aerial photo of tall pine trees around a giant outcropping of rock. In reality it is a rock about the size of two of a man's fists, and the plants growing up around it. This is in a small flower bed outside my fiance's house. It's still one of those photos that you can see either way; a six inch rock surrounded by 4 inch plants, or a mountain size rock with massive pines.

The second photo was taken of the Louisville Street bridge in Monroe, Louisiana. The Ouachita river was way past flood stage and you can see that the river is just a few feet below the bridge. I was standing on top of a levee along the river and the water was up onto the levee. It was creepy, but just part of growing up in Louisiana. Floods WILL happen every so often.

4 comments:

CG said...

I would never have guessed the scale of the first photo LOL

The second one is sort of sad...

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Very nice images.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i enjoyed reading the description of the first shot........

the second one from Lousiana....am keeping fingers crossed that this year's hurricane season doesn't spell harm...hope ur feeling better, John...and ur back is doing better...

John Roberts said...

I really like the second shot of the river. I lived in Monroe for a while in 1982 when I worked for Louisiana Machinery, your local Cat dealer out on Hwy. 165 south. Well, that's where it was then. I liked Monroe.