Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Trees at Ryckman Park, Melbourne Beach

Fujifilm XT-20, Fuji 18-135mm lens at 18mm, f/5, 1/200sec., ISO 200
Not much to say here about the subject matter.  Shadows, color, contrast in the evening Florida sun..
I was actually on my way to the restroom at the park when I turned to look behind me and was wowed by the shadows of the trees.
If I go out photographing with others, I soon get left behind because I stop, turn around, and scan for interesting scenes while others ramble on. 
Stopping and turning to look behind me when I'm out with my camera was something I learned from reading a western novel when I was young.
In the novel, an old-timer told a young greenhorn that as he proceeded through any territory, to take a minute every few minutes to look behind and study the land in case he had to backtrack.  The traveler should then be better able to retrace his steps if necessary. It may save his life.
As a budding young amateur photographer at the time, I considered this sage advice for a wandering photographer, and adopted this survival wisdom from, in theory, the old west.
I have, for decades now, made it a habit to scan the land behind me as I walk with my camera.  There's often a great picture there I would miss by never turning to study what is behind me.
Even if I get left behind.
That long-ingrained habit paid off with this one.
It was my best shot that day.
I'm most often out alone, so my habit usually doesn't bother anyone, and I know how to get safely back to my car.

No comments: