Sunday, July 22, 2018

Boat Wreck, Sebastian, Florida

Panorama shot with Fujifilm XT-20, Fuji 18-135mm lens at 18mm, f/22, 1/125sec., ISO 200
I would have thought that, since any boat is expensive, people wouldn't abandon them to the elements.
Boy, was I wrong. I guess I've seen a lot of abandoned cars in my life too, but seeing a boat end up this way is even sadder.
In the years we've been in Florida, I have seen many washed up boats.
Some on the Atlantic Ocean beach nearby, but more so in the Indian River Lagoon.
The Lagoon is a natural protective area for smaller boats, but with most years sending at least a sizeable tropical storm over us, there's always a boat or five that get shaken loose from their mooring and end up derelict on the Indian Rivers Lagoon's shore somewhere.
Recently Number One Daughter and I went out for some early morning photography and as we were on our way back, we passed this sad sight.
I had to get out and take a few shots.
That was once a brand-new boat, no doubt bought to carry someone's hopes and dreams of lots of sailing the seas in it.
It ends up like this until whatever county it is in can afford to have someone who gets rid of such large trash come and take it away. I think we were back in Brevard County at this point, so I reckon someone will try to track the owner and put the responsibility on their shoulders to take care of it.
The length of time these boats stay like this leads me to believe that owners are rarely found and get right on to getting their mess cleaned away.
I have no idea where these things are taken when finally removed.
I guess the boating world must have their equivalent of tow trucks and scrap yards.
Somewhere.

No comments: