Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's Hard, But Somebody Has To Do It



Lovely Wife and I have moved so many times in the years we've been married, that we have tried to take advantage of the things that are available to do wherever we have lived.

We've lived here in Palm Bay, Florida longer than anywhere we've lived before and it starts to seem repetitious with the photography.

But then I think, hey you knucklhead, there's folks all over who would love to be here for just one week to go to the beach and soak up some sunshine, heat, and humidity. Then I realize that although things might be repetitious and all in a normal day here, but I shouldn't allow it to become boring or routine.

I do appreciate and am thankful for the 300+ sunny days here, as well as being close enough to get to the beach on the Atlantic in about 20 minutes from home and 15 minutes from work. And if that seems too far, I can be sitting on the Indian River Lagoon in about half of both of those times where I can enjoy a beach-like setting plus get to see dolphins and spiffy birds.

These two pictures were taken several years ago one morning. The previous night was an insomnia festival, and I ended up staying up all night and cleaning all of my cameras and lenses and working the shutters on old cameras to boot.

I left for work early, and at the time had to drive down this stretch of US 1, which goes from Key West up to Maine, and set up and took pics at sunrise.

Seeing these again brings home to me just how different digital images look and feel from film and slides.

These images were taken on Kodak print film with a Nikon N90s that I owned at the time, and they seem thicker and more 3D somehow than do digital pics. I'm not complaining; I love my D70s more than any camera before, but I do miss how print and slide film has a depth to it that digital pictures don't have.

I'll shut up now.

9 comments:

none said...

you're right there is a lot of depth there.

and that water looks almost purple.

photowannabe said...

Really beautiful sunrise pictures John.
Now that you have the new bed and breathing equipment maybe you won't have those insomnia festivals any more.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

"there's folks all over who would love to be here for just one week to go to the beach and soak up some sunshine, heat, and humidity"

so true....had a cousin down from UK this weekend who totally loved basking in Florida's sunshine...he had flown in just to get away from the "lousy" weather (as he likes to call it) at his place...and here I am complaining about heat so often!!!!

the colors of a sunrise are this beautiful around the ocean, I could have never guessed!!! I am never up for a sunrise....have to capture one on the Gulf side some time!!! :)

hope you are doing well, John and hope brother is recovering well too.

Anonymous said...

Love these shots John. I really like the fill flash you seemed to use in the bottom photo. I wouldn't mind seeing that everyday!

Hope everyone is getting along better. Take care.

John Roberts said...

Those are great colors in the sky! You do live in a beautiful area, although I've never been much of a beach person. I enjoy looking at your photos from the comfort of my cool basement office. I've never been much of a heat and humidity person either!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

I agree, the sea does the same to me, as other wats also....


:) JoAnn

lv2scpbk said...

Beautiful photo.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi John,
Rmember this :Yu NEVER talk to much!!! Its YOUR blog and I like reading all your stories, good and sad ,sunny and raining , I like them all. I enjoy reading your blog ALWAYS very much!!!

THANK YOU for gving the tip about pills with glucosamine, condrointin, and MSM for my dog, we will tomorrow go to the vet ow where-ever we can get that for our dog. She has had already 1 injection with XXX I don't know... next week she 'll get another and 3 weeks after that the last one... Hopefully it will do something to make her legs better. THANKS again!

Take care and See you ;) JoAnn

Anna said...

Stunning John. You could never do too many of these! :) I hope you are well there.