Monday, July 23, 2007

Rhythm / Treble

My Gibson Les Paul Studio guitar.



Boy, it's really a good thing that inanimate objects like guitars and cameras don't have feelings.

Both my cameras and guitars would be whimpering and undergoing stunted mental development due to lack of attention.

Yesterday, I realized it had been over a week since I had even taken my camera out of it's case. I felt like taking some photos, but my back said, "Oh, no you don't. You're not taking me out gallivanting around today." (It's strange how, when my back hurts, it uses my Sainted Mother's voice and colloquialisms to speak to me in. "Gallivanting around" is one of her favorite phrases.)

What sparked my desire to crank up ye olde Nikon was that we had some great light coming through our skylights in our home. I made a compromise with my back, and stood and thought for a minute on what I could place there in that great light for a few quick shots.

Now it's been WAY longer than a week since I've regularly practiced guitar, and those guys would certainly be hurtin' for some attention, so I pulled out my Les Paul on it's stand and took a few pictures of it.

If any of you are guitar geeks, that's an early 90s, '94 I think, Gibson Les Paul Studio. I put a set of Seymour Duncan pickups in it, the rhythm pickup is an SH-2 Jazz pickup with a gentle, clear tone, while the treble pickup is an SH-5 Custom pickup, which is a bit on the hot side. This thing can be as gentle as a baby and also roar like a lion through my amplifier.


By special request from Miss Kate at Visual Saint Paul, here's a closer view of some of the painted bridge pillars I posted on Sunday.

12 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Hey JOhn......lovely light on the guitar...i hope your back is doing better ....have been out of town so could not pay the visit earlier..please take care :)

Ben Nakagawa said...

Beautiful guitar, John. And it's a genuine Les Paul, I'm impressed. I haven't play mine (Strut copy) for more than 20 odd years now. (but, I'm keeping it for reminder of my young high-school friends.)

Chad Oneil Myers said...

John,
Glad you stopped by. It's cool that you're familiar with where I'm shooting. I thought of you actually with my "Goofy" in the store shot, because of all the in store photos you've posted ;)

These images are really cool, man!

kmm said...

Like the close up.

Annie said...

Just to let you figure my age, when I was a kid my family watched Les Paul and Mary Ford on TV.

I hope your back is getting better and better. I know how back pain can put a crimp in one's style.

GiuCe said...

beautiful red guitar :)

John Roberts said...

I didn't know you were a guitar player too. I don't know much about guitars, but this one sure has some pretty wood!

Anonymous said...

Gibsons have always been my favourite guitar in terms of art...

Anonymous said...

Nice shot John. Love the guitar.

Also like the closeup request you covered. They did a great job didn't they?

Lori said...

Cool shots of your guitar. That looks like a really nice one. That bridge you photographed is really neat too. Thanks for the close-ups.

Blue Wave 707 said...

Love those close-ups of the Les Paul! Great shots!

jeremyDP said...

i like your photo of your Les Paul (even if my favourite one is the Gretsch). it reminds me that i've to work on mine !!