Monday, August 6, 2018

Blue Sky Rainbows

Fujifilm XT-20, Fujinon 18-135mm lens at 88mm, f/14, 1/320sec @ ISO 200
Fujifilm XT-20, Fujinon 18-135mm lens at 32mm, f/14, 1/200sec @ ISO 200

Is there such a thing?
Did I just invent a new term?
Probably not.  I know, I know.  Google it.
Hmmm.
Mixed results. Not exactly like I was thinking of the term, but close enough I guess.
A blue sky rainbow is a rainbow that appears on an otherwise sunny day with lots of blue sky.
I saw two of them last week within three days.
The first one was this past Wednesday at a local park, Castaways Point Park in Palm Bay.
There is a sailboat wrecked there that has been there well over a year now.
I had gone there Thursday evening at about 6pm so the afternoon sun would be just right on that wrecked boat.
There was a rainbow above the boat from the shore of the park and I posted that photo on this blog on Wednesday, August 2nd.
I was in Port Canaveral on Saturday and saw another one.
Neither one was a complete arch from end to end, but I rarely have seen a full rainbow anyway.
I had visited Canaveral Lock and when I looked eastward down the ship channel toward the Atlantic, there was one end of another blue sky rainbow.
That second one was harder to photograph, it was fading even from the second I first noticed it.
The two photos on today's post are from the rainbow I saw on Saturday in Port Canaveral.
Scroll back in this blog to Wednesday's post to see the clearer one, at a local park.
Come to think of it, both rainbows were out over the Atlantic.
Still, it's a nifty phenomenon.

Genesis 9:13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.

No comments: