Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pelicans in Palm Bay (the body of water)

Nikon D90, 18-300mm lens at 300mm, f/9, 1/125sec, ISO 200
I live in Palm Bay, Florida, about equidistant from Jacksonville and Miami.
Many who live here don't know that there is a body of water on the Indian River Lagoon (Intracoastal Waterway) that the city is named after.
I was on the sidewalk, walking along the shore of Palm Bay when I heard a racket and turned to see this pelican starting his take-off from the water.
My camera was set for rather sedate landscape shots, not action photos of birds taking flight.  But, without time to change settings, I fired off a bunch of shots, hoping for the best.
The above photo was the best of the bunch of the pelican taking off.
I do like the way his wing tips are a bit blurred and you can see his wet stomach and drops of water falling off his tail.

Nikon D90, 18-300mm lens at 300mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO 200
The above photo of the two pelicans and the boat coming into the bay is one of those photos I took just calmly pointing here and there and taking photos of what looked to be decent compositions.
After getting the photos on the computer and going through them, I found that I really liked this one.
It's a good "storytelling" photo, it has distinct foreground, middle ground, and background subjects, similar to how stories have a beginning, middle, and ending.
The background buildings and land are on the barrier island across the Intracoastal Waterway.  That's some prime real estate out there.

No comments: